Children Grow and Thrive at Our Child Development Center
The Washington Street Church Child Development Center (WSUMC CDC) offers full-day, quality child development programs for children ages six weeks to five years old. Our classes provide many unique features that our families value, including:
- Full-day program hours: 7:30 am – 6:00 p.m.
- ABC Level A and NAEYC Accredited
- Licensed by DSS, operating under all applicable federal, state, and local laws
- Christian environment
- Developmentally-appropriate curriculum
- Educational development taught through computers, art, music, science, and language arts with emphasis in the High Scope Approach
- Low child-to-teacher ratio
- Separate playground areas for different age groups
- Nutritious snacks
- Centrally located in downtown Columbia, SC
- Keypad entry security system
- Video camera system in each room and outdoor play areas
Our goal is to enhance each child’s social, emotional, language, cognitive, physical, and spiritual growth by providing a developmentally appropriate environment that fosters each child’s potential through respect, love, and play.
We Utilize the High Scope Curriculum
High Scope’s educational approach emphasizes “active participatory learning.” Active learning means students have direct, hands-on experiences with people, objects, events, and ideas.
Children’s interests and choices are at the heart of High Scope programs. They construct their own knowledge through interactions with the world and the people around them. Children take the first step in the learning process by making choices and following through on their plans and decisions.
Teachers, caregivers, and parents offer physical, emotional, and intellectual support. In an active learning setting, adults expand children’s thinking with diverse materials and nurturing interactions.