Children Grow and Thrive at Our Child Development Center
CURRENTLY, THERE ARE NO OPENINGS AVAILABLE.
The Washington Street Church Child Development Center (WSUMC CDC) offers full-day, quality child development programs for children ages six weeks to five years old. Our classes provide many unique features that our families value, including:
- Full-day program hours: M-Th: 7:30 am – 5:45 p.m.; Fri.: 7:30-5:00 pm
- ABC Level A+ and NAEYC Accredited
- Licensed by DSS, operating under all applicable federal, state, and local laws
- Christian environment
- Developmentally-appropriate curriculum
- Educational development taught through computers, art, music, science, and language arts with emphasis in the High Scope Approach
- Low child-to-teacher ratio
- Separate playground areas for different age groups
- Nutritious snacks
- Centrally located in downtown Columbia, SC
- Keypad entry security system
- Video camera system in each room and outdoor play areas
Our goal is to enhance each child’s social, emotional, language, cognitive, physical, and spiritual growth by providing a developmentally appropriate environment that fosters each child’s potential through respect, love, and play.
To ensure that Washington Street is a safe and fulfilling place for families of all shapes and sizes, we’ve taken the following steps:
- We comply with the Safe Sanctuary policies of the South Carolina United Methodist Church. Through it, we ensure that we’re conducting the ministry of Christ in ways that ensure the physical and emotional safety and spiritual growth of all of our children and youth.
- We run an on-site Child Development Center that serves many families in the congregation. Here, children grow and thrive under the guidance of compassionate, committed teachers
- We teach children God’s word through our Children’s Ministries, and we help youth find meaningful opportunities to encounter Christ through our Youth Ministries.
- We find ways for children and young people to use their talents — through music, service, and leadership.
- We intentionally reach out to and welcome diverse families into our fold; all are welcome here.
Through our various ministries, we ensure that your young ones are raised in a church family where their spiritual and emotional growth is vital to growing the body of Christ and creating disciples within our community and our world.
We Utilize the High Scope Curriculum
High Scope’s educational approach emphasizes “active participatory learning.” Active learning means students have direct, hands-on experiences with people, objects, events, and ideas.
Children’s interests and choices are at the heart of High Scope programs. They construct their own knowledge through interactions with the world and the people around them. Children take the first step in the learning process by making choices and following through on their plans and decisions.
Teachers, caregivers, and parents offer physical, emotional, and intellectual support. In an active learning setting, adults expand children’s thinking with diverse materials and nurturing interactions.