Job Title: Director of Church and Community Engagement
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Hours of Work: 40/week FT
SUMMARY: The Director of Church and Community Engagement shall design, promote and support in-person and digital ministries designed to strengthen church and community relationships. Responsibilities include a focus on building collaborative teams utilizing in-person and digital systems that make it easy for people to engage in the various ministries of Washington Street United Methodist Church (WSUMC). The successful candidate will possess a collaborative spirit focused on working with other staff and volunteer leaders to facilitate community engagement and relationship development.
To create a congregational engagement plan with the goal for each member to have multiple contacts monthly designed to:
Increase and sustain engagement with WSUMC’s online worship services
Increase and sustain participation in WSUMC’s in-person and digital small group ministries
Identify guests and potential new members and ensure follow-up contacts take place in a timely and effective manner
Re-engage persons who have become inactive in WSUMCs community life
• Research, design and facilitate an effective small group ministry system
• Recruit and support volunteer leadership to host and facilitate a variety of small group classes and opportunities, in-person and online, for the congregation and community
• Lead strategy and vision and build robust volunteer teams focused on digital engagement ministries
• Research and provide appropriate content for small group ministries focusing especially on adult discipleship but also working collaboratively with the Director of Family Ministries to facilitate engagement of families including children and youth
• Act as the “social listener” and online community manager, monitoring comments, reactions, and sentiments on social media platforms with the goal of developing effective engagement opportunities and response strategies
• Develop and oversee a system to identify online and in-person visitors and potential new members and ensure contact is made and membership class information is provided in a timely manner
• Oversee the engagement and incorporation of new members by shepherding them to greater discipleship and church connection to ensure new members find a place of belonging and service in the congregation’s ministry.
Leverage Digital Media Resources
• Develop expertise on the use of the church membership software (Realm Connect) in ways that promote communication between individual church members, small groups, and programs
• Research and recommend digital tools, systems, and methods that will lead WSUMC into faithful and effective online and digital ministry engagement
• Work closely with the Director of Communications to ensure media and communications are aligned with brand standards, messaging, and best practices, and are integrated with church-wide communications and marketing strategies.
• Collect and analyze data (web analytics, campaign results, etc.) to make recommendations and decisions on content and engagement experiences
• Attend WSUMC worship services and identify opportunities to engage members to increase retention and commitment to Christ, the church, and the community.
• Be involved in the local community and be well versed in public speaking.
• Participate in all staff meetings and other committee meetings as requested by the Lead Pastor.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
• Ability to meet new people and make connections
• Ability to recognize and cultivate the potential in others to equip members for ministry
• Ability to work in cooperation with other church groups, their leaders, and volunteers
• Demonstrated experience coordinating multiple, simultaneous, large-scale volunteer initiatives.
• Self-motivated, energetic learner and team player
• Excellent communication, relational, written, and verbal skills
• Highly organized with the ability to multitask several projects
• A growing knowledge of United Methodism and, the profession of the Christian faith
• Ability to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives with minimal supervision
• Experience in coordinating and/or developing small group ministries
• Knowledge and use of Microsoft Office suite and/or Google workspace
• Familiarity with Realm® software or willingness to learn the software
We offer competitive compensation and a benefits package to include: healthcare, paid time off, matching 403(b) retirement plan, and additional organizational paid benefits and voluntary benefit offerings.
TO APPLY, EMAIL YOUR RESUME TO: email@example.com